Saturday 11 June 2011

When Ideas Expand

I had the idea for a couple of days - to expand the path up to the church. An area that had remained untouched since it was finished in January this year. As it stood, from the other side of the bridge was a single block path of cobble and cobble stairs going up the embankment all the way to the church door:


I wanted to pretty it up, or at least make it look better. What I ended up doing was much more, and spent all of yesterday afternoon working on it! A good couple of hours. At first I decided to widen the cobble stairs so they were three wide (The width of the walkway of the bridge), maybe even not having cobblestone at all. (Maybe I should have had a stone path?). After doing this, and seeing that it was better, I was at the top of the stairs outside the front of the church and began looking at the pathway up to the door.. That's when I got the idea to continue the ice blue gravel path theme from the other side, but not only that, but to pretty up the grounds around the outside of the church! I even went on to make alterations inside.

The inspiration for the church grounds outside actually came from a local church in my town! Now, I am not a religious person by any means, but this light sandy coloured gravel (Or what ever it is) and marble-esq bits gave me the idea to sand the ground, using marble half-steps as paths and for decoration around plantation areas. Not only this bit I also decided to change the fencing into a traditional stone/cobble low wall. You wouldn't really get that type of fencing around a church anyway, so this made sense too. So here is the first initial Ariel shot:


As you can see, a big change already! I wanna see if I can make some half step marble benches, if that's possible - about like the real-life inspiration in my town. The big question now is - should I convert the cobblestone of the church into smooth stone?? When this building was originally conceived, it was just a medium sized cobblestone hut, no proper floor (grass floor) and only a chest and work bench inside. I built it for the sake of building it over on this side. Then I changed it to a purpose - a church, but out of what was there. So should I do it? Should I change it to smooth stone?

View from the back:


After seeking shelter inside for the night, (Because the place is a haven attraction for mobs for some reason, but maybe that's fitting.), I began getting ideas for the inside too! It started out changing the pews, something that was always going to be on the agenda, changing them from smooth-stone. They are now log pews. Originally to be wood but I thought it would blend too much with the wooden floor. Half-slab wooden seats. Due to the blend problem I also decided to change the wood floor (Unrealistic) to a stone floor. After laying it however, I then thought of a red two block carper up the main aisle. I'm just 4 wool away from completion. Also changed the horrid Netherrack floor of the altar to wood & stone accent.





More detailed shots of the grounds:




So what started as a small expansion of the path to the church, became almost a full make over! Whilst posting this blog I've still been fiddling with it! Added: torches on outside of roof and up inside of roof and around main spire, and the bench idea didn't work. Also added a mock candle shrine near the front left side of the altar.


So should I convert the cobblestone of the church into smooth stone??








No comments:

Post a Comment

Light changes..

 So as I plan a build (On my creative copy) for the horrible chunk error wall next tot the hotel at the Chunk Plaza development, i've be...

Popular Posts