Wednesday 14 December 2011

Something's a' Brewin'

It looks like science and brewing is finally coming to my old Alpha world.. (Due to be released on the 23rd December.)


It's funny how this came about, up until now I had a dug out room, on the way to the storage area (Just past the incinerator) - but all it had in it was an Enchantment table. Stone walls, stone floor, stone ceiling. I wasn't sure if I even wanted to go ahead with the science lab as I knew I'd have to reset the nether. However as i was changing some of the half-slabs outside to stone-brick stairs I suddenly had an abundance of half-slabs (What I wanted to use for a science/test lab walls), I also had a load in a chest, So I ended up going ahead and changing the walls into a science lab.






The dirt was a placement to where I might have some benches for brewing stands. Where the railings lay on the edge of the stone over the stairs down to the cobble generator, is now a nice little overlooking glass window. I wanted a nice glossy black floor, but as this was unattainable, and my obsidian was violet coloured, I went for a black wool floor, nevermind-the-fact-I-had-loads-of-black-wool-anyway. Then last night I changed the dirt to stone and to make it look better I added hatches as a decorative aesthetic and as well as getting more Glowstone fro the nether went to the cave in the new chunk again to get more iron so I could make the cauldron and brewing stands.





For bottles and potions.

Even with the Glowstone under the cauldron and hanging from the ceiling it's still pretty dimly lit in there. part of me thinks - as it's a lab it should be Redstone light in red light like a laboratory, but I'm afraid mobs might spawn inside. I can't change the back stone wall as it's the back of the incinerator, I already had a couple of accidents with that and lava spewing through the wall. Already I've made about a stack of bottles, then split them in half and started to fill up half of them with water as the basic water bottles.



Also keep in mind, I have my Christmas painterly pack on at the moment so there will be no frosted glass, and the Glowstone will be standard:



Before starting this posts I had decided that when I release this world, I would put the new nether in a separate folder, so if you did want to get nether warts/blaze rods etc to brew stuff you could. Just before I began however I thought about it, and thought - "What am I actually saving about the old Nether?" All the old portals? I have one that comes out by the church, which isn't really needed with waypoints, two to the base, one to a strange cave, I wouldn't be losing that much really. I think it's more nostalgia because it's been my nether since I started the world in Alpha. The only thing really is the portal to the snow biome, but then I do have a snow factory now. (With 2 slave Golems inside working.)

I realized, I might as well just switch over to a 1.0 Nether. For nostlgia's sake i'll add a folder for the old Alpha Nether instead for the release. Then if you want to switch it over you can. (It's the DIM-1 folder in your world's save folder you switch out.)

Even just turning it from a large empty stone room (Apart from the Enchantment table) to just adding the slab walls made it seem much bigger and brighter. Now we have another brand new room!

More D.I.Y disasters tomorrow as I continue to finalize this world, but now i have some old portals in the over-world to remove!

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I've checked out a little bit of your blog and it seems quite interesting. I have a Minecraft blog as well, which has been active for about a year now. I would be interested in having a link exchange with you. We would both put a link to each others' blogs in a widget along the right side or the top of the page. If you would like to see my blog, it's at http://mineventures.blogspot.com If you are interested you can contact me via a comment on my blog or directly at shawnc366@gmail.com

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have added a link to your blog on my own. You can find it under the "Other Minecraft Links" widget on the right hand side of the page.

    ReplyDelete

Light changes..

 So as I plan a build (On my creative copy) for the horrible chunk error wall next tot the hotel at the Chunk Plaza development, i've be...

Popular Posts