Sunday 7 August 2011

Mass Re-Urbanization!

So I know I promised a new gallery today, but that will most likely be the next post as I have been on a mas, mass re-urbanization of older areas outside my mountain home!


It started out with just a need to get more Glowstone to like the pillars of the old bridge under the water, but it soon became much more, When I returned from the Nether, I looked at the bridge and got an idea... I went back to my storage area and grabbed some cobblestone to complete the support decorations for the corners, where the bottom of the bridge connects with the columns in the sea bed. I noticed, on the side of the bridge the torches are perfectly all aligned with the support columns, which is when I got an idea to place Glowstone in the center. So before it looked like this with all the torches:



Now it looks like this:



As you can see it looks much, much better lit. Also serving as decorations as well as regular functioning lighting. You may also notice, I re-did the dock as well! You can see in the first pic it was embedded in the water, but now it has much more of a jetty feel! (With a fleet of nice new boats as well!) I wasn't sure how I wanted it at first, so I tried it on my "testing" world. All I knew was - I wanted log supports to get that old jetty/fishing dock feel. I'm very pleased with how it turned out! The water current underneath it however, is still a problem. Most likely made worse after trying to fix it.

Things didn't stop there however, I recently also got an idea about having a few planting beds around the place outside:


I was going to use stone, but stone is boring, so wood for now. What should I change the wood to, or should I keep it? I was thinking either dark logs or brick? You'd think that would be enough improvements wouldn't you? I was a man possessed however! After experimenting - again on the testing world, I also changed my fountain in a big way! Recently I changed the stone block surround into half steps but wasn't sure I liked. After remembering an old thread on the Minecraft forums many weeks ago entitled - "Show us your fountains", It just made me feel mine was so crap in comparison. Time for change! The lava under the glass round it - to light it up, also had to go.

Before:



After:



With some nice floral arrangement as well, it's a bit of a departure from before with Glowstone lighting and new grass were there was lava under glass for lighting previously.

I can't stop improving things lately!

I've also began trying the fiery tunnel design I spoke about, for my Netherack bridge:



The tall pillars will most likely be knocked down. I kinda like the idea of walking down a firey tunnel with walls of flames at either side! I also finished sandstoning the staircase walls down to the library and replaced all the wool ceiling of the back lounge with snow blocks after the wool caught fire that time.

I can't think of any other improvements right now, but it'll be a race to get the Nether bridge finished now by the end of August as planed. Ready for 1.8..



No comments:

Post a Comment

Light changes..

 So as I plan a build (On my creative copy) for the horrible chunk error wall next tot the hotel at the Chunk Plaza development, i've be...

Popular Posts