Saturday 23 July 2011

Silly Things For Aesthetics

That was the title of a topic in the Minecraft forums once - "What are the silly things you've done purely for aesthetics?". Today I've just done another, all though it wasn't a silly one, more of a home improvement. I can't believe I've spent over an hour, a whole hour+, trying to renovate a very small little hallway. This hallway started of when I built the house in the mountain, as a "Dig area" for resources, but with the addition of the back lounge room, over time turned into a connecting stairway/hallway to upstairs. Apart from walls, floor and ceiling the rest hasn't ever been changed since September 2010!:

(Old ceiling shown here)


Today, that changed. Over the last few months I've begun to loathe cobble stairs to the point of having them only where absolutely necessary. I really dislike cobble stairs sticking out in the middle of a room like above, but that was my n00b style back then, it was time for  a change. After pulling down the ceiling, I started putting stairs parallel to where they are, on the other side - basically where you see the fencing. Trouble was I wanted to hide the stairs with a wall. I first found out this neat way of doing it by accident on my testing world, then did it in the multiplayer house shrine. The trouble was I couldn't put a wall up to hide it because the stairs down to the library (starting to look almost done now!) were there. This could only mean one thing.

I had to move the stairs down to said library over by one. I changed all the steps down to the library from cobble to wooden stairs, and the one block gap by the side of the stairs going up, (The back wall behind the fencing above), I brought forward by one. I also ended up closing up the entrance to the stairs with more sandstone and added a door - like it was a private entrance:





I'm in two minds about whether to turn version 2 of these stairs into wood was well? 


View down to the library:


I'm so pleased at how much better it looks! At least the fugly cobble stairs are hidden now, whether I do decide to change them to wooden stairs or not. (Maybe use half-steps?)

When restoring the roof, I needed a couple more Glowstone so I took a trip to the Nether. The Ghasts were really on heat after me. Unfortunately, in the immediate area I have nerfed most of the Glowstone, which meant I had to go flying around the Nether to find more, which wasn't a problem finding, naturally, but I did end up getting lost in the Nether. Whilst finding my way back, or trying to I kept hacking away at the Glowstone above land - not above lava. By the time I got back I had 7 & 1/2 stacks of Glowstone! Don't think I ever have to worry about lighting for a while!

The maze is currently reaching it's third block height with leave blocks, I think that's as far up as I can go without it degrading, but I'll let you know. Three high is still enough that you have to jump with "Steve" only being a two block high character. When I've gone all the way around with the third block high, experimented with a fourth level, then, I will begin the fun bit - designing the interior of the maze.

I'll leave you with an update on the library. Things are getting pretty tall, bookcase wise, in the library now:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Light changes..

 So as I plan a build (On my creative copy) for the horrible chunk error wall next tot the hotel at the Chunk Plaza development, i've be...

Popular Posts