Sunday 29 May 2011

Progress & De-Progress (1.6 Thoughts also)

So I've have only been semi busy with Minecraft less-so after the initial release of 1.6 and all it's bugs, but at least alot of things are more stable now with V1.6.5.


On World1, the main world I've been blogging about lately, I've done something with the initial level#1 of the open mine/future underground city. (This is before 1.6). I was getting second thoughts about this whole underground city thing. I could picture possible lower levels, but I just couldn't imagine this first level. For a while I took some cobblestone with me and just began building - without a plan. Bad idea. Not only did the style look bad, but aesthetically as well it looked bad. I ended up tearing those walls down making certain closed of areas more open. For a while where the fencing in the picture below is, I had a cobblestone creeper face, complete with lava coming out the eyes. I thought I took a screenshot of it, but was mistaken and had sadly removed said creeper face a few days later and then, realized. This is what we have instead.




I'm still not sure about this whole underground city thing though. I have also ended up bulding a wooden hut thing for the farm, much in the style of the World2 kennel. The crops were getting too trampled on.



1.6
When news of 1.6 came out, I wasn't initially concerned with maps. I could only see them really being useful in Multiplayer - and my thoughts haven't changed on that. Some have compared it to Cartograph, but it's very pixely and hard to make out stuff on the maps like buildings or clay deposits on the shores. I did spend well over an hour on World2 trying to fill a whole map however, which was some fun travelling. I'm sure Portals for Multiplayer will be useful as well, and the long grass is okay - adds more realism I think. For me however - it was all about the hatches, there are a few places on almost every world of mine where I've said I needed some sort of trapdoor, so I have utilized them thoroughly:

World1 - The only trap door was a small area I dig out underneath my basement in my home. (See post: "I *Heart* my New Home!"), so I could start a mushroom farm. (Another very good thing.)

World 2 - This is where the main usage has gone. Although unplanned, I first used and tried trap doors here in an outside entrance to one of the mines that lies just inside the border of my perimeter fence. I used a double hatches here. I also put one at the top of the ladder of the rear lounge that leads to the top of the mountain - which desperately needed one! Not only that, but I found another use! I made a nice little coffee table for the front room! It comprises of two wooden blocks placed next to each other, with hatches on each side that are in the "Up position" with pressure places for top decoration:




World 3 - Here I placed much needed hatches from the ladder leading out of the bedroom to the attic and at the top of the ladder from the attic to the roof. Oh and one over the ladder descent from the storage room to the basement storage room. (Mossy cobble room). Yes I've not entirely forgot this world. I also found another use for the hatches! Fake shelves! I was in the bathroom testing them as shutters for windows (Something I read on the Minecraft forum), and by accident because of the way they open closed , realized you could have fake shelves!:


Okay you can't put anything on them, but they look cool right? Am I right or am I right?!



Accidents will happen....
When 1.6 came out the first world I went on was World2 naturally. I can never leave that world untouched. One thing that changed straight away was the entrance to my home.. Notch nerfed fire.. My wooden stair roof over my bay widows & door caught fire from the lava fall. :( As did the security fencing to stop the doggies wandering in the lava. Not sooner had that happened then a ninja creeper fell on me in broad daylight and exploded where I stood in front of the house. Only slight damage was done, to the path, but the doggie grave was obliterated! :(

So this was before:


And after the accident:


I remembered what I put on the R.I.P. doggie sign, but will have to look at older pictures to get it exactly right. As you can see, for now I've but another layer of brick over the glass and made a temporary secure brick wall in front of the lava, replacing the charred remains of the fencing. I miss my slanty roofs! It just looks so - flat, now. I'm not sure about that low brick wall either.

Let's see if you are reading these posts, any ideas for new roofs? I tried half-step roofs but it just looked shit. An overhang of brick might look crap as well. Should I keep that new low brick wall?


Main question. Should I continue the underground world on world1BETA? - as I'm getting second thoughts. Or start a new world in honour of 1.6.X? If so what should I build? No pixel art or mega structures please.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Light changes..

 So as I plan a build (On my creative copy) for the horrible chunk error wall next tot the hotel at the Chunk Plaza development, i've be...

Popular Posts