Thursday 15 May 2014

Elevators & Ravine Homes

Main world, survival. Begun in 2010 in Alpha, I found a mountain with a hollow front and lava pouring down the front, round the back a single block waterfall coming out of the wall.. I decided it was a nice place to make a home! In 2012 after 2 years and developing my building style I began a mass re-generation scheme of my world, inside and outside. This is the story of my main world...

This will be the last update for a little while on my main world as I'm giving my older worlds a little rest so that when I return to them, I'll have a bit more motivation. So I was watching a YouTube video about Minecart elevators and started to wonder if I had room for one. Which is pretty funny as some weeks ago in a creative copy I was recreating the beta era look and ended up recreating this picture in the corridor next to the old water elevator:


Original:




Creative 2014:




Anyway back to 2014, and I am putting it in the same place, the exact same place, in the exact same corridor! Only difference of course is it's going up not down. (Although that might be fun too.. Now there's an idea!..)




So the door would go on that left side towards the back door, where the first painting is roughly. There where a few concerns however, as I needed it to be 6 blocks back according to the tutorial. That means going into the corner of the front room extension. I was also worried about what rooms I might hit going up. Due to this, I tested it on my creative copy (World #2 in da future!) first of course. The first problem, wasn't so much so; but I did cut through a corridor (Going up from the back of the front room extension) and came out in the side of my observation deck. Never-the-less, I was happy with it; it could be done. So happy that it spurred me to do it for real in my actual survival world.


Unintentionally, I must've started a few blocks nearer the timber log trim on the wall because I came out a bit more outside the observation deck. The extension room wasn't a problem, I made the window in that corner smaller where the wall latched onto it and continued the existing wall along to meet using snow blocks and stone brick trim for the bottom border. Added some stained white glass so you could see the lift from that side too - as I was using so much of it for the elevator. Also managed not to carve through the corridor like in the creative copy.




One problem though. Where I decorated the rest of the walls with snow blocks to blend it all in and match, it showed on the outside of the mountain. So now I guess I will have to just make that whole side of the mountain outside smooth snow blocks too!


Work in progress:


What you may or not see up the top is new safety railings and I've also added some "Bushes" up the top on the edging to cover some of the redstone work needed. Also had to move the door coming out to the Observation Deck, and the door to the observation deck itself on that side; as the elevator comes out literally right outside the side of said area.




Ravine Home 

Made some more advances on this world! Whilst I rest from the old worlds I am concentrating on the newer ones (Including Podzol home!), and so got to work on this project. Up to now I had only glassed over the top of the ravine and lined it with trees, and created piston doors to seal up the stairs down to my home from mobs. (Piston doors are also behind actual doors.) Also walled up the side of where the redstone was for said pistons to hide it all. (Neither shown in the first early picture.)

Resource Pack also now changed to Modern HD after first picture.








First job was to start ripping up the ravine floor. As this was just going to be a main corridor to the other ravine below (At the far end of this ravine), I opted for Birch planks, edged off with acacia planks.


Then subsequently changed the cobble walls around the doors/piston doors to sandstone:






This chest is nearly empty now as I slowly move things downstairs into the abandoned mine Storage Bay.

There is so much of the new granite types about - Granite, Andesite and Diorite. At first in these next few pictures, I still wasn't sure about what to do with the floor, but I began creating lots of alcoves for future chests. Each with polished granite blocks either side and a backing behind the chest (Also underneath) of raw Diorite:







Eventually for the floor I decided to keep the abandoned mine wood plank edges - except changing it to birch planks, and for the middle underneath the tracks - polished Andesite.




I figured I needed an armory and a bit nearer to the stairs as I have to walk half-way along the ravine to get to this storage. So at the bottom of the first stairs from the upper ravine, I have got this upcoming area for a future armory room:




I wanted it to be like a big vault, but wanted something to represent iron blocks as I didn't want to waste the ingots right now. Detailing needed of course.


Also have a little farm up on the surface of the ravine, in a small dip pond:




Notice the abundance of birch trees nearby where I've been replanting and replanting each time I chop one down!


The big push on the abandoned mine storage area has got me really pumped for this world now! Want to do as much of this as I can like the Podzol home, of which I'm starting feel "meh" about the design. Can't wait to see what changes there are by the next time I post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Light changes..

 So as I plan a build (On my creative copy) for the horrible chunk error wall next tot the hotel at the Chunk Plaza development, i've be...

Popular Posts