Friday 7 March 2014

Dawn Of The Third Age (Library)

Main world, survival.
Begun in 2010 in Alpha, I found a mountain with a hollow front and lava pouring down the front. Around the back a single block waterfall trickled out of the wall.. I decided it was a nice place to make a home! In 2012 after 2 years and developing my building style I began a mass re-generation scheme of my world, inside and outside. This is the story of my main world...

I know, I know! This isn't the part#4 update but there has been a development recently, one of a few, and I have been feverishly beginning yet another re-furb of the library in my main world!

It only started as adding a bit of a border around the basic oak plank floor, just to make it a bit more interesting. I went googling however and poured over pictures of "Modern libraries" as I was starting to go off the traditional wood walls/floor look. This isn't the first incarnation however. Since 2012, January 2012 to be specific, I've been trying to redecorate in a way that's appealing to me, and at least I finally think I've found a scheme I like.

Originally it wasn't even a library, it was an art gallery until I swapped the rooms around; and before that - it was just a boring looking cave that went back round on itself. After levelling out walls, ceilings and the like, and carving out areas where I would have stairs; I would have the basic shape for an art gallery. As cobblestone was the easiest resource to build with, I just went round retro-fitting all the walls with cobblestone:


Cobblestone and the then brown-ish poo colored oak floor.. (Painterly texture pack as it still is today.) In January 2012 I began experimenting with the room, in a bid to regenerate everything as my building style was changing. The original idea was a mixture of snow walls and coloured walls, this was long before the dyed and being able to dye; hardened clay however, so colored walls literally only meant one thing - wool. So on my creative copy of the world I got to work:


Then I changed the idea to brick, but it would need too much clay so I used the old idea and changed it a little to some brick walls, some colored walls:


After trying this in survival, it just didn't work for me and was left for a very long time unfinished. Sometime last year I picked it up again and decided to give it an old' world style look with a traditional oak floor and wooden walls - bottom half spruce planks and the top half jungle planks. Until the other day that's how it remained, all the walls were done I just had to finish the bookcases.


As I said, I got sick of the wood and started adding a border of dark oak planks to the edge of the floor to try and make it a bit more interesting. Then I went and did a massive search on Google for "Modern libraries" and decided on a whole new look! Naturally, I tried it on my creative copy of my world first where the biggest change was an extension, just of the reading corner, a new overhanging veranda and new stairs to the upstairs of said extension.



As you can see change is starting to happen! Wood walls are being replaced with a mixture of snow blocks and spruce logs, we have a new balcony and as well as the dark oak border the oak is being replaced with Acacia planks.



The site for the extension, with entrances 1) for the lower floor (by the reading corner) and on the landing around the corner. This area will be excavated out.



So yeah, a lot of work to do, getting rid of all those wood walls and excavating a brand new extension, should keep me busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Light changes..

 So as I plan a build (On my creative copy) for the horrible chunk error wall next tot the hotel at the Chunk Plaza development, i've be...

Popular Posts