Sunday 4 March 2012

Obsession

So work on the kitchen has slowly been developing nicely, although I have been slightly distracted (yes - again!) by something between levels 1 & 2, but I'll get to that shortly.


With a dire shortage of white wool I had to go exploring for sheep. This turned out to be a good thing as I found new chunks of this map I hadn't explored back in Alpha, not that i did much exploring in this world. First I found a swamp, then I found a jungle biome! After that I got very lost. I did take down a jungle tree however so came back with almost 2 stacks of jungle logs. In the end I only had three Iron, so I had to go looking for more Iron to make a compass to find my way back. I also picked up lots more clay. When i finally got back I started digging out the stone walls and adding a clay block border and brick walls to a certain height with a sand top up to the ceiling.





And yes, as painterly is that quick in updating, I completely re-did the texture pack, reverting the cobble back to light cobble bricks and changing the light-bulb torches to the "Dungeon-esq bone (holder)" torches.

It's probably the most different mix of textures I've used for kitchen walls. If you can imagine, just for a second, units all around the perimeter of this rectangular space, a central island in the middle.. This whole space will become a nice BIG kitchen! I found another hole behind one wall, so turned it into a pantry:


As this will now be the kitchen, I'm not sure about having that upstairs room as a bedroom. A bedroom over a kitchen? Might make that a different room and make this room on level#5 the bedroom instead:

I would flatten that brown clay wall, no diagonal walls.

After this I became distracted, again. I was clearing the over-hang over the stairway between this level and level #3, and I cleared a 1 block row on the ceiling and went up to see whee the gap was.. I could see yellow and black wool so I had a feeling it was the emergency exit.



I found this:


My idea of moving the emergency exit doors over by 1 block was crushed when I found that the row of stone was there for a reason, covering the kitchen below. I kept trying to reconfigure, it but no matter what I tried it was a problem. The sand from the kitchen walls would be showing, there was no room for a new floor. (Not without raising the ceiling, adding another step to where the new floor would be..) All just to cover the sand walls showing through. In the end I just decided it was better to move the emergency exit! I went down the corridor and up the first stairs and just dug to into the left wall back towards the level #1 entrance and came out...

here!:


 I came out by the wheat farm! I decided to make this entrance the new emergency exit. This would mean removing the farm (I have another larger one on level #4 with all the other farms), and blocking it up, as well as blocking up the corridor of the old emergency exit. Before that I continued the sand wall up from the kitchen into this little area.






I decided to block of this redundant gap to the right of the last picture and added a few stone-brick borders:



Much, much nicer aesthetically, you'd never have known it was there! The new entrance:


I also changed the cobblestone from the stairs down from level #2 to level #3 to stone-brick, and built up a small stone-brick wall around the stairs, with railings and a glass roof.





The stairs from level #5 down, where the proposed bedroom will be, also got a change. You'll see where the stairs go down there's bits of a wall, which doesn't look nice:


So where those bits of walls are, would be the stairs down - so it would double back on itself. The way tithe stairs came down though, meant half-way down it would have to stop and back on itself again to wards the back sand wall. This led to me building up the entire area.





As you can see, it still needs more bricks, but I kinda like it as it looks like part of a building trapped underground. (Perhaps from a great earthquake?)

So the priorities are:

  • Finish kitchen
  • Move bedroom
  • Finish waterfall corridor on level#3/nice area entrance tidy up
  • Finish the above last picture. (More brick, different floor etc.)
I think I have become way obsessed over this now, I just can't stop myself. Due to the updating of the texture-pack, the stuff I'm doing now I would never have had the imagination to do back when I started this project in 2011!

Click: Here, to read the start of this project back in January 2011 and see early pictures! Picture #8 in that post is what is the kitchen (or will be!) now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Light changes..

 So as I plan a build (On my creative copy) for the horrible chunk error wall next tot the hotel at the Chunk Plaza development, i've be...

Popular Posts