Sunday 3 April 2011

1.4, Wolves & More!

This post was meant to be just about more changes in my old Alpha Mountain home, but I kept meaning to do this post for so long that it's now going to be one of those big posts again!


So yeah - 1.4 and... wolves. The first time I came across them I was actually on a newly generated world (Trying to find a good spot for my private server for my forum), and I found a small pack of them! It was a new world though, I hadn't been on long and within a minute I found this pack, but naturally I had no bones on me. It was also midday. Also, I had just died and respawned and had to leave them behind because I needed to find this place again:



If anything needed building around, it was this epic apple core-esq mountain!



I then went to my Beta world and went on a big hunt for wolves with some bones to tame them, but like some, couldn't find any. I left it, and Minecraft for a while and went on to do other things at home. I later returned to my Beta home and was just outside my fence of my house,when I saw a couple of wolves! I went in and got some bones and tamed two. I heard it helps having a forest or very wooded area, and thankfully my beta home is in the latter, so much so they would keep on spawning.

That first night, I just had a couple and had them sit outside the dor of the fencing outside for the night. They are sooooooooo cute, I mean adorable. Minecraft is now killing me with cuteness overload. They way they cock their lil' heads and shake off water after going for a swim/travelling across water. Not so good fighting skeletons however. I found a pack and tamed four more, bringing my total to six, so I had them sit on a flat grassy spot near outside my house and built a kennel (of sorts) around them:

I had turned the default texture pack on as I was worried about them not showing, as some had experienced.

I found a couple more, which brings my total now to 9. I only keep them locked up at night though, I go off wandering with them during the day., and it's great having a pack of 9 wolves following you!


More Alpha Mountain Home Stuff..

There are two more major changes, as well as a few other little ones, but the first is the library. Before accidently deleting this world a second time I had begun expanding the mini-library - upgrading it to a small library. Then it accidently got deleted, my back-up was two weeks old, I lost all the work. Fast forward, and I have finally got the urge to try again. Work is in progress but it will see it change from this:



to this currently:


As you can see, when finished it will be much bigger. That back wall is even further back than the previous time! The other thing, and the main BIG thing, is the dining room:


I always said I would eventually re-decorate the walls and floor and I finally have. I agonized over the floor first, I didn't want another wooden floor and a coloured wool block floor (or anything using them as a pattern) was out of the question because of the sheer size and amount of wool that would be needed. This, like all my worlds, is legit after all. Smoothstone looks drab, cobble and sandstone wouldn't really match the idea, obsidian was too dark and I was running out of ideas. I even went as far as emptying my entire inventory so I could kill myself, spawn in my middle-of-nowhere spawn point (Where a portal is to get me to the nether and back home), just so I could get snow. That, really is where the only snow biome is near me!

I got an idea about a fake marble-esq floor with snow blocks and collected quite a few stacks, but that didn't work out. So I started laying things next to snow blocks for patterns. Initially I tried sand, but they contrasted too much. which is when i really began thinking about patterns again. I know some people use work benches and chest in floors as decoration, so I thought about my texture pack and my chests. My single chests have a gold square deco on top which I thought would look nice, so I devised this simple pattern:


I did a one-tile block of this pattern as a tester, and really liked it, you can also still use the chests! So I implemented across the entire floor and it looks sooooooooooo much better! I also got rid of the fake TV and Netherrack chairs, the obsidian TV was a pain to mine! Then it came to the walls. Sandstone was a consideration but then it'd be too like the corridors so I opted for sand again but to stop it being too plain I decide to have two feature contrast walls with soul sand.

In works:



The latest idea is adding sandstone columns in front of the sand walls (And all around?) to at make at least the sand walls less boring:


During this, I heard a bark from upstairs... I had a wolfie in my old Alpha world, in an old chunk! I never expected that. I rushed up and tamed him, so I now have a companion in this world too! It also lead to making a minor health and safety change to the fencing by the lava:



Eventually when I finish this, I will do the ceiling as well in the dining hall, but traditional wool block (asbestos looking ceiling tiles) are out of the question this time. I may very well use those snow blocks! The other thing I did was get rid of the lava traps out the front. The area is so well lit, I never get mobs coming that close any more, and in the advent of brown sheep and wolves - I don't want any accidents. They're not really needed any more, so I filled them in, I should plant flowers really, but this is the new view of everything, including the tree farm just by me where the old fail lava & water trap used to be:


I also replaced the doors by the fencing, (In the gates), from wood too steel doors. They're not meant to be homely - I pondered one day. They're meant to be security. I think flowers along those fences would look nice, where the lava traps used to be... Looking at this, I might replant a tree where that one in the top right corner is! That freaky mis-shaped tree bugs me!

OCD FTW!





EDIT: Look at the time of this post! 1337 post! Elite!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Light changes..

 So as I plan a build (On my creative copy) for the horrible chunk error wall next tot the hotel at the Chunk Plaza development, i've be...

Popular Posts